a certificate of divorce is stamped and finalized

What if I Fail to Answer the Complaint for Divorce?

Home » What if I Fail to Answer the Complaint for Divorce?

What if I fail to Answer the Complaint for Divorce?

When you are served with a Complaint for Divorce, you are given 21 days if served in person or 28 days if served by mail. If you fail to file an Answer to the Complaint for Divorce, the Plaintiff can file a Request for Entry of Default with the court. Once granted, the Plaintiff can file a Default Judgment of Divorce and seek the relief requested in the Complaint for Divorce. This may mean that you will have a child custody or parenting time arrangement that you do not like or a division of assets that is not fair and equitable. Even if you agree with the Complaint for Divorce, it does not hurt to consult with an attorney to fully advise of your rights and what you could be entitled to under the law.


We have worked with many clients deciding whether to pursue divorce or legal separation. The attorneys at Melissa Pearce & Associates provide often-needed consistency during divorce negotiations, ensuring our clients are informed and prepared to make decisions. Before you file for divorce, we invite you to schedule a pre-engagement meeting with our experienced divorce attorneys. We proudly work cooperatively with our clients to secure the most amicable divorce settlement outcomes.

Related Links:

Schedule Your Pre-Engagement Meeting Today

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.